Quaker Man Dressed in Simplicity
300 years of Quakers in Tottenham

Next panel

Previous panel

Start of Exhibition

Exhibition Plan  

Quiz

Tottenham Quakers

Grove House School

In 1828 Grove House School was founded by Thomas Binns, who served as the first headmaster. It replaced Forster's School, which had closed two years earlier. Provision was made to teach French, German, Latin, Writing and Drawing. The boys were all from Quaker families or had Quaker relatives.

The school stood on the south side of Tottenham Green. It eventually closed in 1879. In 1897 the site was purchased by Tottenham Council and became the Tottenham Polytechnic (now College of North East London).

On the closure of Grove House School, activity was transferred to a new Quaker school in Reading, Leighton Park School, which is still running today.

Quaker Woman