Quaker Man Dressed in Simplicity
300 years of Quakers in Tottenham

Next panel

Previous panel

Start of Exhibition

Exhibition Plan  

Quiz

Tottenham Quakers

Lancasterian School

In 1812 a Lancasterian school for boys was established in Tottenham. It was originally on the High Road, just south of White Hart Lane, but moved in 1813 to Church Road. Three years later a similar school for girls was opened on the corner of Reform Row and the High Road.

From the beginning, several Tottenham Friends, men and women, were actively involved in the management of these schools. They are also featured in the list of subscribers, including members of the Forster, Janson, Howard and Stacey families.

In a single large room over 100 boys were taught on the basis of Joseph Lancaster's 'improved plan'. Each boy paid 1p per week. Joseph Lancaster, a Quaker, published an account of his educational work in 1803: Improvements in education as it respects the industrial classes of the community.

Joseph Lancaster had found that at his 'Lancasterian School' in Southwark one 'teacher' could teach say five boys one item of knowledge in reading, writing or arithmetic. These five boys would teach another five. These would teach five more. In this way education could be provided very economically.

Quaker Woman