Quaker Man Dressed in Simplicity
300 years of Quakers in Tottenham

Next panel

Previous panel

Start of Exhibition

Exhibition Plan  

Quiz

Tottenham Quakers

Expansion: changing membership

By 1786 attendance for worship at Enfield was low and the Enfield Meeting House was sold in 1803. South Mimms Meeting closed in 1788 and the Meeting House and burial ground were sold in 1820. It was a similar story at Waltham Abbey. Epping and Walthamstow Meetings survived.

In contrast, Tottenham Meeting's membership expanded as increasing numbers of Friends settled in Tottenham. By 1772 Friends were considering enlarging the Meeting House. Friends involved in the negotiations for enlargement included William Forster, Edward and Thomas Phillips and Daniel Bell. Life at Meeting was getting so busy that by early 1778 it was decided to hold an additional Meeting for Worship in the afternoon.

Eventually, in 1803, land belonging to Thomas Shillitoe was transferred to Tottenham Meeting for use as a burial ground.


Quaker Woman