Rebuilding of the meeting house
In 1833 the Meeting House was practically rebuilt on the old foundations at the cost of £1677. A small Meeting House and living room at the side were built, and so the buildings remained for more than 100 years.
The population of Tottenham and District was about 9,000. Gas lighting was installed on the High Road.
Tottenham Monthly Meeting 1851
A meeting census on 30th, 3rd month 1851 revealed:
Members worshipping at
- Tottenham Friends Meeting House: 156 (morning), 101 (afternoon);
- Winchmore Hill Friends Meeting House: 42 (morning), 16 (afternoon);
- Epping Friends Meeting House: 40 (morning)
Population was about 23,000. The Bethnal Green to Edmonton Railway line opened with stations at Bruce Grove and White Hart Lane.
Football in Tottenham
The Tramway from Tottenham to London opened in 1881.
Tottenham Hotspur Football Club was started in 1880. Some time in the 1930s a game was played by the Friends Club team and the Spurs Junior Team. The Friends Club lost, but perhaps it was just a friendly game.
Ted Willis (later Lord Willis) recalls in his autobiography
“a peculiar local invention was Tottenham Cake. It consisted of a scone like base covered with lurid pink icing. It was baked in long flat trays, then cut into cubes, which retailed for a penny each. Luckily the cake was not always cut evenly or the icing uniformly spread, and the smaller defective pieces were sold off at half price.
“In 1901 it was given away free to local children to celebrate the Spurs first victory in the FA Cup Final”
Henry Chalkley, the baker, was a Friend. The tradition of a Tottenham cake is continued today at Tottenham Friends Meeting. Now baked by Peter Brown, the pink icing is usually achieved by using mulberries off the tree in the burial ground.
Tottenham Meeting 1890s
1890: Average attendance at First Day School was 74 children
10/12/1891 Tottenham Monthly Meeting Minute
“During the severe weather of last winter, efforts were made to relieve some of the suffering poor in our neighbourhood by giving cocoa suppers for men three times a week in the school room and dinners for children, tickets for the latter being distributed by one of the Board School teachers. We also distributed about ten tons of coal.”